October 17, 2011 § Leave a Comment
Comic Con 2011 came…and went. I did some cosplaying (first foray. My last, most likely, involving makeup,) hung out with friends, and spent far too much time standing in various lines.
It was packed, they made us walk around the entire Javits center once. High fives became involved.
The free things available were pretty amazing. I’m especially going to point out Tor here because I got signed copies of Mistborn, For the Win and All Men of Genius for free. Meeting both Brandon Sanderson and Cory Doctorow was pretty incredible, though I missed the Sanderson panel I wanted to make.
I met some pretty cool people in lines, and the friends of friends. Which is always interesting.
There was a time when the Avengers fought the Knights from Castle Crashers, and life was good. There was also a time when I saw a Nova display, and a Harry Dresden cosplay (he had Bob!) – life was even better.
I went to a panel, the name of which I don’t recall – something to do with dinosaurs, and came away determined to read more things out of my favorite genre. Which is good, and odd, because I want to do my best to write between genres. I enjoy the work and stories to be found there.
All in all, I utterly failed/did not attempt to post my thoughts for comic con each day. I also enjoyed the con immensely. Fun stuff.
Looking forward to next year. (And the scavenger hunt before.)
October 1, 2011 § Leave a Comment
So, quite a few things going on. Here, let’s pull out those handy bullet point things. That way, I can feel like I’m shooting down my targets. Or something.
- September Ended, bringing an end to Sarah’s comic-a-day experiment. It’s okay though because…
- October is beginning and Sarah and I are embarking upon a comicking journey together. The comic’s title: Death for Breakfast. You should see more up at that site pretty soon.
- My Exercise in Fiction project is still going on, will be for a while. It took a weird dystpoian/sci fi turn that I wasn’t quite expecting.
- It’s time for the Bards and Sages Reader’s choice awards. My story showed up back in January, so if you’re inclined please go give me a vote? The voting form can be found here. It’s quick, it’s easy – and I’d appreciate it!
- Comic Con is coming up. I think I might post a day by day run along as it goes, sound good? For those who don’t follow me on twitter or anywhere – I won free tickets. Actually, my entire little brigade one free tickets. We became somewhat known during the scavenger hunt. We were….
I promise, I’ll have some more things up soon. More productive, constructive, thinking like things. For now, meditate on how cool warpaint is. (Very)
September 21, 2011 § Leave a Comment
So work has begun again, this year dawns with me acting as a veteran. It’s strange knowing things when others don’t, we have a lot of new staff. It’s nice being able to help, instead of being the new guy stumbling around. The kids are a lot more open to me and I have a wonderful class with awesome children.
Also, I’m the main homework teacher this year for 3rd grade. Or rather, at least, I’m confident enough now to run my section of it instead of just co-run it. As a consequence, my class is a lot quieter and is running smoothly, they’re getting their homework done on time.
Anyways, it is a new year. I am writing the beginnings of a novel, another one, and working through the basics of period-table based magic. It poses some interesting questions. I’m writing short stories, I’m growing in writing and at the day job. Except, to me, it isn’t just a day job.
I love where I work.
And that’s pretty much all I have to say
September 13, 2011 § Leave a Comment
My story “Boy of Grasses” is up online at Jabberwocky (Jabberwocky 8). The story was a blast to write, and it’s still one of my favorites. I’m glad its finally found a home. I’d love to hear what you think.